BUILDING CREATIVE THAT CONVERTS: YouTube is not only a wildly popular search engine and video platform — it also fuels conversions of prospects into customers. In fact, 70% of users bought from a brand after seeing an ad on YouTube in 2020. So it makes sense that the platform is being used more and more as a lead generation tool for schools and programs.
To learn more about the types of ad formats that are available on the platform and the kinds of campaigns that would fit within each, check out our first post in a series on YouTube advertising.
In this second post, we're diving into how to develop creative that wins on YouTube and moves the needle on your bottom line. Here are our tips for building successful video ads:
1) Understand the story arc that works best on YouTube 📚
- Since you have limited real estate, use an emerging story arc instead of a traditional story arc. Ultimately, you want to leave the user wanting more information so that they convert on your offer.
2) Build for mobile and audio 📱
- 70% of the global watch time on YouTube takes place on mobile devices and 95% of the video that is played on the platform is watched with sound on (unlike Facebook and Instagram).
3) Follow the ABCDs of YouTube Advertising 🔠
- Attract — Use memorable imagery, tight framing, and open with the people in your video on the screen right away.
- Brand — Introduce your brand in the first five seconds and show visuals that are unique to your school.
- Connect — Leverage emotion and put people at the core of the story.
- Direct — Use a sense of urgency for your offers and include specific CTAs.
Shameless plug 🔌 To see examples of compelling YouTube ads from universities, check out our recent FRIdeas video — How to Advertise on YouTube [Part 2]: 3 Tips for Effective Creative that Attracts and Converts Students.
🎁 BONUS TOPIC 🎁
SOCIAL MEDIA TRENDS TO KEEP AN EYE ON: In 2020, there were over 3.6 billion social media users globally. That's kind of a lot of people. Schools and universities should not only plan a solid social media strategy, but also keep tabs on the trends that will impact the effectiveness of their campaigns. HubSpot has rounded up nine social media trends to watch in 2021 — here are three takeaways with tips for higher ed marketers.
- Brands will go live more often ➡️ With virtual events, info sessions, and campus tours, prospects appreciate the live events that stand out from prerecorded (and often, stale) videos.
- Content value will matter more than production quality ➡️ Workplace shifts from the pandemic proved that content can still be engaging (and be perceived as more authentic) without expensive video equipment or professional backdrops.
- Digestible content will be favored by consumers ➡️ Offer value right away with easily understandable infographics or short FAQ videos to capture and maintain the attention of your prospects.
Shameless plug 🔌 Check out our other blog post for more social media insights: "How to Reverse Engineer Your Competitor School’s Social Strategy — A How-to Guide for Enrollment Marketers on a Budget."
Our podcast network is growing! Check out our latest show 👇
Starter Stories is a new podcast that explores the stories behind the world’s leading education technology companies and education consultancies...and the people who created them.
Submit a Comment